The following is a short, idiosyncratic list of the books and articles that I
found particularly valuable when writing The Ingenuity Gap. All of them
are mentioned in the book's endnotes, but since there are several thousand
citations there, readers may benefit from a more select list. I've provided some
comments on each of these readings in the Annotated
Reading List. You can also reach these comments by clicking on the
sub-headings in the list below.
- Ausubel, Jesse. "Does Climate Still
Matter?" Nature. 350, no. 6320 (25 April 1991): 649-652.
Jesse. "Resources and Environment in the 21st Century: Seeing Past the Phantoms,"
World Energy Council Journal. (July 1998): 8-16.
- Ausubel, Jesse. "The
Liberation of the Environment," Daedalus. 125, no. 33 (Summer 1996): 1-17.
- Nordhaus, William. "Do Real-Output and Real-Wage Measures Capture Reality?
The History of Lighting Suggests Not," in The Economics of New Goods, eds.
Timothy Bresnahan and Robert Gordon (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1997).
- Simon, Julian. The Ultimate Resource II: People, Materials, and
Environment (Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 1996).
Complexity and Chaos
- Arthur, W. Brian. "On the Evolution
of Complexity," Complexity: Metaphors, Models, and Reality, eds. G. Cowan,
D. Pines, and D. Meltzer (Reading, Massachusetts: Addison-Wesley, 1994).
- Bar-Yam, Yaneer. Dynamics of Complex Systems (Reading, Massachusetts:
- Crutchfield, J. P., Farmer, J. D, Packard, N. H. and
Shaw, R. S. "Chaos," Scientific American. 255, no. 6 (December 1986):
- Williams, Garnet. Chaos Theory Tamed (Washington, D.C.: Joseph
Henry Press, 1997).
Complex Adaptive Systems
- Kauffman, Stuart. At Home in
the Universe: The Search for Laws of Self-Organization and Complexity (New
York: Oxford University Press, 1995).
- Kauffman, Stuart. The Origins of
Order: Self-Organization and Selection in Evolution (New York: Oxford
University Press, 1993).
- Wright, Sewall. "The Roles of Mutation, Inbreeding,
Crossbreeding and Selection in Evolution," Proceedings of the Sixth
International Congress on Genetics 1. (1932): 356-366.
- Perrow, Charles. Normal Accidents:
Living with High-Risk Technologies (New York: Basic Books, 1984).
- Rochlin, Gene. Trapped in the Net: The Unanticipated Consequences of
Computerization (Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 1997).
- Tainter, Joseph. The Collapse of Complex Societies (Cambridge:
Cambridge University Press, 1988).
- Winner, Langdon. "Complexity and the
Limits of Human Understanding," in Organized Social Complexity: Challenge to
Politics and Policy, ed. Todd La Porte (Princeton: Princeton University
Ecological Systems and Environmental Change
Wally. "Unpleasant Surprises in the Greenhouse?" Nature. 328, no. 6126 (9
July 1987): 123-126.
- Holling, C.S. "Buzz". "An Ecologist View of the
Malthusian Conflict," Population, Economic Development, and the
Environment, ed. Kerstin Lindahl-Kiessling and Hans Landberg (Oxford: Oxford
University Press, 1994).
- Holling, C.S. "Buzz". "New Science and New
Investments for a Sustainable Biosphere," Investing in Natural Capital: The
Ecological Economics Approach to Sustainability, eds. AnnMari Jansson, Monica
Hammer, Carl Folke, and Robert Costanza (Washington, D.C.: Island Press, 1994).
- Turner, B. L. II et al. eds. The Earth as Transformed by Human Action
(Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1990).
- World Resources Institute.
World Resources. (Washington, D.C.)
Evolution of the Human Brain
- Mithen, Steven. The
Prehistory of the Mind: A Search for the Origins of Art, Religion, and
Science (London: Thames and Hudson, 1996).
- Potts, Rick. Humanity's
Descent: The Consequences of Ecological Instability (New York: Avon,
New Growth (Endogenous Growth) Theory
- Aghion, Philippe
and Howitt, Peter. Endogenous Growth Theory (Cambridge, Massachusetts: MIT
- Romer, Paul. "Two Strategies for Economic Development: Using
Ideas and Producing Ideas," Proceedings of the World Bank Annual Conference on
Development Economics 1992 (Washington, D.C.: World Bank, 1993).
Paul. "Endogenous Technological Change," Journal of Political Economy. 98,
no. 5, pt. 2 (1990): S74-S75.
- Romer, Paul. "Idea Gaps and Object Gaps in
Economic Development," Journal of Monetary Economics. 32, no. 3 (1993):
- Romer, Paul. "The Origins of Endogenous Growth," Journal of
Economic Perspectives. 8, no. 1 (1994): 3-22.
Market-Induced Technological Innovation
- Barnett, Harold
and Morse, Chandler. Scarcity and Growth: The Economics of Natural Resource
Availability (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins Press for Resources for the Future,
- Hayami, Yujiro and Ruttan, Vernon. Agricultural Development: An
International Perspective (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1985).
- Hicks, J.R. The Theory of Wages (London: Macmillan, 1932).
Olson, Mancur. "Big Bills Left on the Sidewalk: Why Some Nations are Rich, and
Others Poor," Journal of Economic Perspectives. 10, no. 2 (Spring 1996):
- Petroski, Henry. Invention by Design: How Engineers Get from
Thought to Thing (Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard University Press, 1996).
- Schmookler, Jacob. Invention and Economic Growth (Cambridge,
Massachusetts: Harvard University Press, 1966).
- Smith, V. Kerry, ed.
Scarcity and Growth Reconsidered (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins Press for
Resources for the Future, 1979).
- Green, Donald and Shapiro, Ian.
Pathologies of Rational Choice Theory: A Critique of Applications in Political
Science (New Haven, Connecticut: Yale University Press, 1994).
Elinor. "A Behavioral Approach to the Rational Choice Theory of Collective
Action," American Political Science Review. 92, no. 1 (March 1998):
Constraints on Science
- Barrow, John. Impossibility:
The Limits of Science and the Science of Limits (Oxford: Oxford University
- Kahn, Herman and Wiener, Anthony. "The Next Thirty-Three Years:
A Framework for Speculation," Toward the Year 2000: Work in Progress, eds.
Daniel Bell and Stephen Graubard (Cambridge, Massachusetts: MIT Press, 1967,
Limits to Social Ingenuity
- Falkenrath, Richard, Newman,
Robert and Thayer, Bradley. America's Achilles' Heel: Nuclear, Biological, and
Chemical Terrorism and Covert Attack (Cambridge, Massachusetts: MIT Press,
- Olson, Mancur. The Rise and Decline of Nations: Economic Growth,
Stagflation, and Social Rigidities (New Haven, Conneticut: Yale University
- Rauch, Jonathan. Demosclerosis: The Silent Killer of
American Government (New York: Times Books, 1995).
- Tuchman Mathews,
Jessica. "Power Shift," Foreign Affairs. 76, no. 1 (January/February
- Wright, Robert. "Hyperdemocracy," Time. 145, no. 3 (23
January 1995): 41-46.
Book Contents |
Book Excerpt |
Suggested Readings |
Ingenuity Theory |
About Thomas Homer-Dixon |
Order The Book
Copyright 2000 Random House, Inc. | Alfred A. Knopf